Monday, August 25, 2014

Fail Forward

What is success? What does it mean to you? How do you reach it?

I think of these questions often and I get asked about them sometimes too.

Today, I held an open house style Scentsy & Velata party. What does this entail?

Inviting many people via phone, text, facebook and handwritten invitations. Cleaning my office yesterday because it was a disaster (if you've seen it before you know exactly how bad it gets!). Sorting, labeling and pulling everything from the office down to the main floor. Wiping tables down and setting up the display. Making and displaying hostess & guest gifts. A last minute grocery store run to make sure the snacks and goodies to dip in the Velata were just right.

It's almost picture perfect don't you think?

The time came for guests to arrive. Two minutes into the open house, as I was scrambling to make sure everything was finished, my first guest knocked on the door! After a brief catch up, she started sniffing the fragrances that are leaving soon and she got her nose in the new scents that are available beginning September 1st.

As my customer was ready to walk out the door, I asked if she was ready to place her order with me today. She said that she'll order online in September. Her little nose LOVED the fall fragrances!

When she left, the girls and I finished all the details of the day and just kind of sat around. Waiting for more knocks.

Waiting.

And waiting.

The first customer of the day, my friends, was also our last.

What does this tell me? How should this make me feel? What did I do wrong? How can I keep going?

I'll tell you how... and why.

Almost exactly 6 years ago, a similar situation happened. It was my Launch Party for Scentsy Wickless. I was so excited! I had my dear friend and sponsor, Ariell, present just in case I got so overwhelmed with the rush of customers during my open house.

I had done almost every detail mentioned above to make sure that this Launch party for this 'new to me' company was a huge success.

I bet you can guess what happened..... one person showed up. But do you want to know the funny thing? This person wasn't invited! She was our neighbor, 'The Cat Lady', who just happened to knock on the door during the hours of the party, to ask my girls if they would watch her cats for the weekend. She must have felt bad, or saw the desperation in my eyes, but she came in and sniffed her way to a $44 warmer and wax set.

At the end of the night I had a few mixed emotions. I was part embarrassed that I had 'wasted' Ariell's night. I was sad that I now had a counter full of food, prepared that we could barely afford at the time. I felt let down, like my friends didn't care about my new business...or me even.

What did I learn?

I learned that none of those feelings was the truth! (except that we truly were broke!) I learned that there may be days that you decide to party but everyone else is busy. 

This is what has happened since my first Scentsy party until today's open house.

I have grown to be a whole different person than I was 6 years ago. I have met hundreds of new people and have reconnected with many friends from the past. I have learned to get comfortable doing the things that make me most uncomfortable... talking to strangers. I have grown in my confidence to speak to a group to hundreds of people on more than one occasion. I have witnessed other peoples lives change. I have set goals and have met them.... set bigger goals and have seen them finished as well. I have learned to dream bigger and share that with other people. I have seen the heart and soul of our company give more and more. I haven't had to work outside the home in 6 1/2 years. I have learned that consistent effort and discipline each day (some days lots, some days just a little) can change your life.

The one big lesson I have learned during my Scentsy journey.... is NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER QUIT! Always know that:
And that: 


Please take these words of advice as encouragement to you as you try to run a 'successful' home based business. If little ol' me, the girl that struggles with consistency & discipline; the girl who has dipped her toe into many business adventures,... if I can climb my way up to the highest title on our compensation plan with this amazing company.... so can you. It doesn't matter if you're just starting, rejoining, or if you've been around longer than I have. It doesn't matter if you have no clue where to begin or what to do. I know that you can do it. You have an incredible team and sponsor or director who want nothing more than to see you reach your greatest potential. I believe in you.

NEVER GIVE UP. FAIL FORWARD!




2 comments:

  1. It is encouraging to know I'm not the only one who has parties where nobody shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this rings a bell. I sell it works and I had my launch party this winter.. My upline drove all the way from Idaho and my mom came 100 miles to watch my daughter . We lived in student housing at the time, so I paid to rent the community center. I also did day care so I put 5 kiddos in the wagon and one on my back and went door to door with invites to over 300 places . 2 guests showed up ;) I made just enough to pay off the center and chalked it up to a practice round ...

    ReplyDelete