Friday, December 13, 2013

In... but not of

I'm realizing that in this season of being absent from social media, I have been spending a lot of time planning and reevaluating everything I do. Questioning what I'm doing and what is worth doing... is it adding value to my life or the lives of others. I'm loving this fast (even though I know my family and some friends are struggling with me not being on facebook right now - I heard a bit about that while we were home and surrounded by family the past couple of weeks)

Taking a 6 week break from comparing myself with others, getting locked in conversations that have nothing to do with me, and getting lost in a mound of photos of people I hardly know has really helped me refocus on myself, my faith and my family. 

With that being said, I do feel like I'm ready to go back to Instagram. I have noticed that I don't take nearly enough photos of my family and our every day moments that I want to remember forever without it. (Seems silly that I'll only remember taking the photos if I have a place to post them but for some reason, it just works that way)

So as of tonight, I'm back on Instagram. (Don't worry Grandma, I'll have them linked right to Facebook!) Not to get sucked in, but to use it as a tool. Oh I will have rules for myself that I will stay disciplined to follow but I'm excited to be back 'in the world.' 

That's one thing that I have realized... that the world is there. Here on the web.  I need to be a part of it. But only to add value to others, to glorify God and not devalue my little world. I will not allow myself to be consumed by it. 

The Word of God in the New Testament encourages us to continue our relationships with the world around us, but to be careful to live in a way that pleases God, not the culture:
1 John 2:15
Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
Romans 12:2
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

That's why I had to fast... Not just because I thought I needed a break, but because I was consumed with discontent of worldly things, ideas, and perfection. 
It was a slap in the face that I needed to back off, pray and fast so that I could refocus on my relationships: with God and my family. 

If I were to post right now, it would be of these two beautiful young ladies. Tonight they had their piano recital and both did an amazing job, even though they were both overly nervous. 

Since starting my social media fast, I have spent way more time with these girls. I've learned so much about them because I am intentional about listening to them. Really listening. I feel like I missed out on them because I was 'too busy.' All of the 'just a seconds' took over and that caused me to miss many minutes, hours and even seasons in their lives.

This brings me to one of my main rules.... you must not lose time with your girls. They are more precious than any 'like', 'follow' or 'tag' you'll ever receive. Do not get distracted and lose your focus on those beautiful brown eyes. They need you to be a focused, intentional, right now mama. God is working on my heart right now. I can feel it. I'm so excited to see what this next chapter holds for us. 

XO.
Jari

No comments:

Post a Comment