Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Back to School!!....!?!??!

I don't know about you but I am TOTALLY not even close to thinking about getting 'back' to school... the school groove. Oh the school groove.
Our school groove is definitely not the 'typical' - - or - - 'normal' school setting. We are HOMEschoolers! Yay... and I say it proudly - - well, now I do :)

Let me take you on our little journey through my eyes.

When our oldest daughter was in 1st grade we started to experience a little bullying issues at her school. I don't know when it started but when Arly started tell us about what was going on, the Mama Bear in me came out. Joel and I had talked to the teacher and assumed that everything would be handled the way it's suppose to be handled (however that is.) It was a few kicks in the shins and one slap on the face.... but the emotional effect it had on our sweet baby girl was too much. She had changed. Something about her spirit was so broken that no matter what we did to try to figure her out, we just couldn't.

Once school was out we just enjoyed our summer sooooo much! I remember how alive and happy Arly was when she wasn't in that environment. I prayed all summer long that she and this 'other girl' wouldn't be in the same class the next year. When I found out they were in the same class my heart was broken. We spent the next semester praying hard, encouraging our daughter to be strong enough to 'just ignore' the girl and all bad situations, and even going in to the counselors office to try to build up Arly's self esteem the way the 'system' told us we should. It was so emotionally exhausting. I mean seriously, how do you send your child into that atmosphere EVERY day? How do you? She would say she had a tummy ache a lot of the mornings and I know it was just anxiety. Imagine, this sweet 7 year old, trying to deal with this day in and out. It was SO hard to drop her off at school. She tried everything to make the situation better. She even tried to be the 'mean' girls friend in hopes that she would be nice to her. Didn't work.

At this time, we had been going to our church and we were starting to get to know a few homeschooling families. We started asking questions and praying if this was the direction The Lord wanted us to go. Homeschooling! I had never considered it. Not in a MILLION years... I'm pretty sure I said that out loud a few times. The end of the first semester of Arly's 2nd grade year (and Alyn's Kindergarten year) we had made the (very difficult) decision to go against what almost everyone was telling us to do - - and school at home.

Note: I've NEVER been a teacher. I don't know how to lesson plan. I am NOT a good planner or organizer. HOWEVER, I have MY children's VERY BEST interest in mind and in my heart. They are our everything and I was going to do what I could to protect them. (Then, that's what I thought I needed to do... protect them.)

It's now been 3 years since we've been schooling on our schedule, we can't imagine it any other way. We just got our curriculum in the mail the other day and started to do inventory today.  I mean seriously... do kiddos get this excited when they get their curriculum?

I LOVE IT!

We are building our Spry Library, one year at a time!


We have had great success so far in educating our children. They LOVE to learn. I'm not sure if it's because they are girls... but they are thriving! And I get to be the one to see the light bulb go off, the cheerleader to celebrate each success and we don't have to answer to anyone! We can travel as a family when Joel has to leave town for work... we school by the pool or in the mountains... in the car or at the grocery store.

What I thought was protecting... has actually turned into preparation. We are preparing our girls to have a solid foundation with the ONLY One that matters. We get to start every morning by digging in God's Word and making Him the focus of our day. I'm learning more and more about being a mom, teacher and student EVERY DAY.

I am so blessed.

What does YOUR school groove look like? And if you have ANY questions about homeschooling, please ask me! I don't have all the answers but I do know that if I can do it, ANYONE can :)

XO.
Jari


PS. I'm sure I'll elaborate more on this another day.... but I'm tired and I'm not a great writer... yet ;)

3 comments:

  1. Totally brought tears to my eyes... you are an AWESOME momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Jare Bear!! I have always known why you chose to homeschool the girls but this post was sooooo moving. You are such an inspiration in so many ways. Thank you for sharing! I look forward to reading more. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this! I have bttn absolutely terrified thinking about homeschooling even though it's something Eric and I have considered and talked about. I mean, ERIC is the "teacher," not me! This makes me feel more confident that as long as we rely on God as the basis for our teaching, it can be successful!

    ReplyDelete