Saturday, September 7, 2013

When I Said I Do

As I was unpacking from having our car loaded preparing for the worst from the fire, I took a peek into the big white plastic bag. I had a special moment with the heavily laced and beaded dress I wore on that chilly May morning. 

On May 29, 2004, I said 'I do' to the guy who made my whole world twist around... In all the good ways and the hard ways. I married the fun, super sexy, generous and compassionate man whom my sweet little girl called Daddy. 
It seems now that we were just kids. 

Running my fingers down the heavy dress, I remembered every moment of that day. The butterflies of anticipation of my groom seeing me for the first time in the dress. Of our first family photo of all with the same last name. 
Joel has always made me feel loved... More than I ever knew was possible. 

Over time, with a growing family, careers and business, it seems like we get stuck in the everyday hum drum of life. Like we just go about our days doing the same things, saying the same things, caring the same way. I mean I know I tell him 'I love you' but what am I doing to SHOW him that I love him? And appreciate him?

As I was hanging up the dress that resembled that beautiful rainy day and promise to each other, it was a reminder that I need to love my husband more. Love him differently than I have been. 

Sometimes I get mouthy. (Ok a lot of times). It is so comfortable for me to give him my 'worst' of me when I need to be giving him my 'best' part of me. 

I'm ready to love him like Jesus commands us. 

I'm challenging myself to find 30 ways to love my husband better and show him love. I'm going to be intentional for the next 30 days and to share it here with you all. I'm choosing 30 days because I know that's what it takes to make it a habit for me. That's what I want... to fill my husbands heart up with love daily. Maybe we can strengthen and deepen our relationship with our spouse and learn something about ourselves in the process. 

If you are following my blog, I encourage you to try this with me. If you do something different to show love to you spouse (big or small) please comment. I want to hear and cheer you on. 

When I said 'I do' I meant it... Forever. 

XO
Jari







2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about Steve and our wedding...I struggle with the same things you do..good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jari that was a very heart felt message you wrote. I'm not married but am in a relationship and I was sitting here think about how I treat him at times and your right it's easy to do the same thing its a habbit. So I'm going to join you in this message and with praying for a change and knowing I have some that is praying too will help me change the way I treat him. Again Jari thanks for sharing.
    Michelle (Craven) Brenner

    ReplyDelete