Friday, September 20, 2013

Letting Go of Perfection

How many of us spend much of our days comparing ourselves to others?

I find that I do that way too much. Consumed by the knowledge of other people excelling at something I thought I should be great at too.

I think of my friends, neighbors, family and peers and always think I should be doing everything just like them. My friend Charlie; her house is ALWAYS clean... like spotless! She cooks amazing meals, does a menu plan and even has become a coupon master. She somehow gets it all done with 6 kiddos! My friend Joanna; she is a fitness expert. She seems to have it all together when it comes to nutrition and fitness and she looks amazing! My sister Jackie; she can chase 4 kiddos around PLUS find time to create the cutest scrapbooks of all of their adventures. My friend Melissa; she ALWAYS has fun no matter what. So much fun that her nickname is HYPAH! Life of the party! My friend Michele; always SO organized. This gal can keep track of everything to a T... and always have a smile on her face. My friend Cameryn; her style is JUST like mine, but she pulls it off in everything she does.... clothing fashion, home decor, hair! My sister Jenna; she can tell everyone how she feels about something without any reservation. When she is passionate about something, people know it. My friend Allison; her faith amazes me. She is an encouragement to many and protects her time with her family. What a priority to have! My neighbor Alisha; her garden is BEAUTIFUL! I'm pretty sure there isn't a weed in sight. My friend Danielle; she has a new passion for running and I want that too! And I could go on and on and on with many others.

It's almost exhausting even sitting here typing this out. It's been a long time since I've felt good about what I'm capable of doing. Most days, that is just getting through the day.

Over the past week, I've learned to let it all go. I can't be perfect. No one can. I can't 'pretend' that I have it all together. I don't. I can only be thankful for the moments I have. Perfection has trapped me for too long. It has kept me from being a good me. From being a good wife and mom too.

Perfection... ADIOS YO! Ain't nobody got time for that.

Food on the floor. Sticky face kids. PJs in the grocery store. Wet hair on a conference call. Hiding in the car for a quiet place. Laundry unfolded. Pizza for dinner. Sheets not on our bed (for like 2 months!) Bags still packed from last trip. Dishes in the sink. Mini blinds are STILL hanging. Toenail polish is chipped. Unfinished schoolwork. That's my life. And I'm ok with it.


NOTE: All of my friends, family, neighbors and peers have AMAZING talents and passions. I'm so grateful that I have them to look up to in certain areas... what they're good at... so they can share ideas and encouragement with me.

XO.
Jari

No comments:

Post a Comment