Monday, October 28, 2013

Change

When you know it's FINALLY time to make a change... you just know. Oh yeah, it's made VERY clear.

For over a year, I have known what I need to do, but was always unwilling to change. What if I lost friends? What if I didn't keep up with everyone's everything? How will I know what's going on? How would people be able to keep up with us? Who do I show my kids new tricks to? What happens when I need to chat with someone? Or stay connected with my customers?

Let me take you on a little trip down this very conviction.

Over 2 years ago, I was sitting in a bible study with friends sharing what our biggest sins were.... mine... finding self worth in what other people think of me. I spent a lot of time praying, asking God to remove this idol from my heart. Little did I know, He would remove it physically. The end of that summer, Joel and I 'lost' BOTH of our computers, Kindle and iPods. What's even more interesting... we lost our identity. No really, it's true. We were on a road trip back to South Dakota and as we were leaving the hotel in Montana, we were in a rush. We drove all night and were exhausted by the time we arrived in Rapid City so we went straight to bed. When we woke, we unloaded the car and there is NO electronic bag! GONE! We're not sure if we left it at the hotel or maybe in the parking lot but the hotel did not find it... neither did the police. Not only was all of our electronics in that bag... but so was all of our taxes, pay stubs, bank account info, and everything about us. We were in the middle of purchasing a home and everything, even our identity was gone. (Backing up just a bit... 2 months prior we left our unmarked electronic bag on the bus at Disney World because we were in a rush to get off - - but we got it back that time after 3 hours of searching and amazing Disney workers)

So there I was... knowing the idol was taken away... and I went out that morning and purchased another computer so I could stay 'connected.' It's like I couldn't help myself.

Fast forward two years and MANY conversations with Joel and other friends about how I need to step away or find some balance with my online world.

Friday... sitting in bible study, the group of gals and I had to share what our biggest distractions were that was keeping us from having active faith in God. I wrote about that here but was too scared to write about something that I felt I couldn't live without. So I talked about sleep. (which by the way... we don't have a handle on at all!)

I talked about facebook with the group of girls and we justified that I 'needed' it because that's how I do run most of my Scentsy business... with customers, team, etc. It's just something I couldn't give up... I couldn't live without it.

Saturday night, I was reading '7' by Jen Hatmaker (GREAT BOOK... Thanks Shelby for the recommendation!) on living in excess. Too much. It's taken me a while to get through this book because it really speaks to my heart. This season of my life, I'm seeing very clearly on what is too much. Possessions, Food, Media... Media was the chapter I started AND finished Friday night. In this chapter, Jen and her family took a 30 day fast from all media. This is what she said.


Ok Lord... I'm listening. I hear you, but I'm just not sure I can do it? How can I give it up? How can I still be successful without it?

Sunday afternoon, I saw a friend post on facebook about how she needed a break... a simple post that said "...I need to reclaim some intentional and purposeful meaning to this life."

Ok OK God.... I hear you.

Sunday evening, I had a cranky spell (this happens more often than I like to admit) - -

 insert my thoughts as soon as I yelled at the girls about the house and the mess.  My selftalk: "You are a monster! You are so addicted to what others think of you... You compare your bloopers to every one else's highlights... You want what everyone else has... Stop looking at this! Stop spending so much time comparing yourself to others! Stop spending so much time in the online world and forgetting about YOUR world.  Look around you. You have a God who wants to spend time with you. Who loves you and can satisfy you more than any 'Like' or 'Follow' ever would. You have a husband that is so tired of trying to have a conversation with you while your nose is hovering over your phone and you don't even make eye contact with him. He lies beside you in bed and falls to sleep waiting for you every night to turn off the phone. Your girls deserve more from you! The only reason you get angry with them is because you are frustrated that they want your attention when you are giving all your attention to these online relationships. They just want you to love them... spend time with them... acknowledge them. They are your REAL world."

and as I got in the bath, took my phone, and opened up Bloglovin'; this is what I read.  NO FRICKIN' WAY!

Lord I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR.... and THANK YOU for the ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER!

So there you have it... my reason WHY I have to CHANGE and say goodbye to social media for a while. I'm not sure how long.... maybe 6 months? maybe a year? maybe forever?

What I do know is that right now, in this season, social media is not enriching my life. I also know that it is stealing energy from my home and family and giving me a crutch to hide behind a keyboard and not develop strong relationships with people. Do I think it's going to be difficult to walk away? ABSOLUTELY. Do you I think it'll be better for my family? NO DOUBT! When I was telling the girls last night about my decision and we were talking about idolatry and walking in obedience, Alyn looked right at me... with tears in her eyes and said "Mom, for real? You would give up facebook?.... " I said "yes, baby, I'm going to." As a tear fell, she simply said "Thank you." and gave me a hug.

THAT is why I must change. My girls are my biggest mission and my mission starts now.

This doesn't mean I won't be around. I'll be here... right here actually EVERY DAY! I'll be blogging this journey and every journey we have a long the way... in the CRAZY SPRY way... but I just won't be posting on facebook or instagram anymore. So if you want to see us, you'll have to read here. There are a few ways to make sure you stay in our loop... if you want to.

You can click on the FOLLOW BY EMAIL link in the upper left column.

You can click on the FOLLOW ME ON BLOGLOVIN' in the upper right column.



 I know I'll miss seeing you and your families so I would love a text or email every once in a while from you.
Don't be a stranger... Say Hi every once in a while. I'm going to be going through FOMO most definitely... (Fear Of Missing Out) but it'll be worth having the party be outside and me: sitting in my house, uninvited by myself, working on faith, family and relationships.


 XO.
Jari



8 comments:

  1. What a brave and amazing thing you're doing Jari. I am proud of you for this change. It is inspiring me to take a little bite out of your decision pie. I am not prepared for complete removal, but maybe it's time to step back. Thank you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, thanks so much! It's going to be a crazy ride but I'm already seeing benefits! Love you sweet girl! XO

      Delete
  2. I too, have taken breaks from Facebook. Sometime it's nice not being in the "loop". Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how long of a break I'll be taking, but I'm loving it so far!

      Delete
  3. So proud of you for putting yourself out there. So many of us need to take this same aproach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, you're so right! What if everyone took a break?! Think of how many phone calls would be made or conversations around a kitchen table... Together!

      Delete
  4. girl, what a journey we are on. I am incredibly grateful that you are brave enough to do this. What a blessing to have someone to walk alongside as we leave the world behind. Can't wait to see how it changes us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited! I'm seeing fruits already! Thanks for the nudge :) XO

    ReplyDelete