Monday, October 6, 2014

Where the Buffalo Roam... Bison Range

A 45 minute ride in the car with some sweet friends and we arrived at the Bison Range.
We've been taking Mondays off of school at the Spry Academy so we could use that day each week to play catch up,  clean & organize or simply just relax. 

But today was a day to learn all about the American Bison. The visitor center had many facts and showed ways the American Indians used almost every bit of the animal for survival. 
We also were reminded of the near extinction of this wild beast. 
Look at this wall of dots! Tens of millions... Then down to under 100!
I need to be honest here. The round up wasn't exactly what I had pictured in my mind. I guess I was expecting the Wild West. I was hoping to see cowboys and cowgirls on their horses and dust clouds from the beat of thousands of hooves. I was craving to feel the rumble of these huge animals below my feet. And what I was really hoping for was a buffalo burger cookout! (Too much... Maybe... But they're just so good!)
All my wishes aside, today was a beautiful day. The sun was shining, the mountains were glorious, the kids were well behaved (except maybe a certain bear could've used another nap or two!)
I'm happy we spent our day up at the range. We learned so much and got to enjoy some of our favorite people too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment