Monday, November 4, 2013

Homeschool Organization

We've been at this homeschooling thing for a few years now and I'm still working on the right organization that works for our style. 

I've tried having an area set up like a 'real school,' but that was in the unfinished basement. It gets too cold down there in the winter time and there is not enough sunshine in the spring. 

So school has been brought up to the dining room table since about this time last year. I like it. I think the girls do too. But we battle with the many distractions of life when we are up in the living space. 

I seem to think I can do all of the housekeeping in between giving spelling tests, science experiments while an almost 11 month old is clung to my ankles. Fixing dinner and paying bills while reading about the Choctaw Indians. Placing Scentsy orders while teaching long division to an 8 year old (oh Lord give us the patience and grace to make it through one more lesson!)  

It is very difficult teaching time management to the big girls when I have a hard time modeling it to them on a daily basis. But we'll get there. It's a work in progress. Life is a work on progress. And so is my organization. 

Yesterday I got completely fed up with how the girls' schoolwork was just overflowing their plastic bins. That and the fact that Avin fell on a bin and totally bruised her whole cheek... Sweet baby girl. A fair skinned baby doesn't stand much of a chance with hardwood floors throughout the house!

So off to Target we went after church to find a way to make to get all the schoolwork organized for us. 

This is the before:

And after:

Doesn't it look so much better? A few simple magazine files and a pretty pattern and we are set! Day one using them and they still look just as neat and tidy! 
And their even in the closet just above the scarves.... So pretty. 

I am so thankful for the opportunity to homeschool. I know it doesn't work for some people, and others would never want to do it... But for our family, it's the perfect fit. 

I know moments like this and forever bonds wouldn't be the same if the big girls were away from the house for most of the day. 
That will just melt a mamas heart to a puddle! 

I am so grateful for our time together. I take my role as mom and teacher very seriously while still sneaking in a few fun things now and again. (Painting toenails and sledding is in the agenda for tomorrow!)

XO
Jari

No comments:

Post a Comment